Monday, June 05, 2006

Testing Week

Last week was our final week of our normal school schedule, and this week the kids will be taking the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. In Ohio, you have the choice of taking standardized tests or submitting a portfolio of your child's work to certified teacher who then signs a statement indicating that the child is working at grade level.

Since we moved here in 2003, I've chosen the first option. One reason is that the information you glean about your child from the standardized test scores can be occasionally helpful. However, for me the greater reason is that I find the idea offensive that someone who was an education major in college and takes additional education classes occasionally is more qualified to assess their educational progress than I, who lives, works, and breathes these kids' education.

The most common choices for standardized tests are the Iowa and Stanford achievement tests. I chose Iowa initially because it allows the parent to test at home, and that seemed much more convenient, especially because at the time we were just moving to Ohio. I've stayed with it largely because it's helpful to compare scores year to year, but the comparison would be meaningless if the tests were different. I like the Iowa, however; they have a good scoring method.

NOW, before anyone questions how the tests can be valid when I give them myself, let me say this: I don't even look at the test booklet until the day of the test, to make sure I don't happen upon something that I don't think we've covered and allow it to affect what/how I teach them. And in no way do I help them during the test. Our scores are completely valid, though I admit the opportunity is there for those who lack integrity to cheat.

No comments: