Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bugs vs. insects

In light of all the wonderfully disgusting things the kids have been seeing at their nature camp this week, we had a discussion in the car as to whether bugs are the same as insects, or a subset or superset of them. I said bugs are small, yucky living creatures, and being the least science-minded in my family, I'm not sure what constitutes an insect. My kids quickly left me behind with a discussion of arachnids and arthopods, which aren't insects, but might include some bugs among them...

Speaking of yucky things, one of the highlights of their camp so far has been watching a snake eat a living frog... seeing the legs hanging out of its mouth, kicking, and the lump in the snakes body still moving for a few moments.

YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! That has to be among the things creation is groaning about as it, too, waits for redemption.

No comments: