Friday, June 16, 2006

Not exactly a fortune cookie

With the kids away overnight, my husband and I went out to Chinese food, which we love and they don't... After living in northeast Ohio for almost three years, we finally found a decent Chinese place! Yippee!

There were lots of things I didn't like about the Boston area, but there were several good Chinese restaurants there, without even having to go downtown.

Fortune cookies have been changing, of course. Now you see 'lucky' numbers on them, for the ubiquitous lotteries, I guess. Occasionally, and more interestingly, they'll have phonetically rendered Chinese phrases. But last night there were no cheesy fortunes. They were... proverb cookies! With my fondness for proverbs, I was impressed. They weren't biblical proverbs, of course, but there truly is only one source of true wisdom.

My cookie said, "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." It reminds me of a biblical proverb which says that self-control is better than taking a city.

Doug's said, "Character cannot be purchased, bargained for, inherited, rented, or imported from afar." True, but unfortunately, these days character isn't valued much.

No comments: