Friday, June 02, 2006

Advice for young moms

Three things I've learned along the way...

1) It's all grace... When I try to be a good mom in my own strength and ability, I'm an abject failure. But when I trust and lean on God's strength, his grace is indeed sufficient. Thirteen years ago, when my first was an infant, I was counting the years 'til I could send him to kindergarten and get my life back. I could never have looked forward and imagined that I'd be finishing my 8th year of homeschooling... (Here's a bonus lesson- don't look forward or backward too much. Just put one foot in front of the the other!)

2) Find companions. Since we no longer have moms, sisters, and grandmas living in the same house or at least within a short walk, and few of us are lucky enough to have like-minded neighbors, you'll need to make a special effort. Find a MOPS group, or some other group for new moms and make attendance a priority. Sometimes the toughest days can be lightened just by knowing you're not the only one who feels that way!

3) Finally, believe it or not, this is just a season of your life. Two events helped me understand that. First, one Halloween I heard a child outside complaining at his father's insistence on accompanying him trick-or-treating. He didn't seem much older than my own son, but I couldn't imagine Tim (maybe 6-7 at the time) rejecting our company, especially walking down a dark street at night! And for the first time, I wasn't so eager for him to grow up and away from us. Second, watching my mother-in-law go through the lonely journey of widowhood made me aware of how much what felt to me at times like an excess of love and family togetherness would be a such a blessing to her. So, hang in there, and don't give into the temptation to quit and find an easier road. I'm still believing and trusting that, in the end, it will be well worth the years of sacrifice.

No comments: