Saturday, June 10, 2006

A life of service and sacrifice

Paul refers to being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from the Philippians' faith.

That phrase has stuck with me, and one of my goals is to learn to live a life of sacrifice and service. I've had my eyes opened recently to better understand how God desires for me to do so.

As any wife and mother knows, much of our day-to-day activities can seem... well, dull and unrewarding? Recently, I came to the realization that my attitude toward yet more cleaning, cooking, laundry and grocery shopping wasn't exactly 'rejoicing in all things.'

God, in his gentle and gracious way, spoke a word of conviction to me, and helped me understand that the very things I was grumbling about are his blessing to me -- a blessing because I know how he wants me to serve today. I've heard many people agonizing over not knowing what God wants them to do, and I've had great concern about it at times in the past myself.

So, when I feel myself being inclined to grumble over aspects of my life, I'm trying to learn to remind myself that 'this is how God wants me to serve today,' and to be thankful for the knowledge.

No comments: