Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

A long time ago, probably back in high school, I remember someone telling a youth group that people's first understanding of God as a Father was deeply coloured by their experiences with their own fathers.

For some, it became a hurdle they had to surmount before they could trust in the father heart of God. I was grateful then, and am even more so now, that my father made it easy to understand, believe in, and rely on God's love.

Because my father disciplined me when I needed it, and yet showed in a myriad of ways his love and concern, I could understand that when God allowed painful or difficult circumstances in my life, it didn't mean that He doesn't love me.

Because one of my dad's characteristics was always that of creatively looking for and finding fun things to do, I understood that God's love isn't passive: He's actively looking for ways to bless me.

I'm grateful to God for giving me a wonderful dad, and I'm grateful to my dad for being such a good picture of the father heart of God.

No comments: