Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ted Kennedy and Proverbs 31

Reading Proverbs 31 this morning, I was thinking of Ted Kennedy as I read the first nine verses...

He's not a king, but is a ruler of sorts, in the American fashion, and it occurred to me that he might do well to heed parts of it... Verse 3: "Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings." Also, verse 4: "It is not for kings...to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer..."

I think Sen. Kennedy would claim that he does the latter verses in this section: speaking up for the rights of the poor and those who can't speak for themselves (except the unborn, that is!) It's made me think a little as to what 'rights' were being referred to in Proverbs 31:8.

Postscript: Since Proverbs 31 is primarily known for its description of the impossibly virtuous woman, I imagine the title of this piece could raise eyebrows... ; )

No comments: