Tuesday, May 16, 2006

C.S. Lewis

At the moment, Lewis is more popularly known for his Narnia works, but of his fiction, I like the Space Trilogy better. I'm amazed at his foresight in predicting today's liberals, even writing in the early 1940s.

My comment today has to do with one scene from the final book, That Hideous Strength. In it, Merlin (returned from Druidic times) sees Jane, a young, recently married woman, and refers to her as the "falsest lady of any at this time alive." His reason is that by practicing birth control, she has prevented conception of "a child by whom the enemies should have been put out of Logres for a thousand years." (He meant a child who'd have been a great asset in the fight of good against evil.) He said further that, "For a hundred generations in two lines the begetting of this child was prepared..."

Lewis was Anglican, not Catholic (I'm assuming this because he was British, and they got rid of most of their Catholics by one means or another!) The Anglicans have not taken a stand on birth control (or much of anything else, especially lately!) but it seems as if he were against it.

I have to say, it certainly seems the more 'Christian' way -- to put your trust completely in God's sovereignty and will for such a matter, but it's beyond me to do so. I suppose Merlin would wish to have my 'head cut from my shoulders,' also.

No comments: