Friday, September 08, 2006

Weight Loss

I was one of those who had trouble losing the last ten pounds after having kids...

Sometimes I'd 'diet,' which I define as a temporary, drastic change in eating styles. Other times I'd try to get more serious about exercise. Finally, after watching the results in others, I decided to give Atkins a try. And, I had about the same result that most others did: weight loss in the short term, weight gain in the long term.

So, then I ended up with more than 20 pounds to lose. I think I have finally found a two step (VERY SLOW) strategy for weight loss. The first step started more than ten years ago. I recognized a dearth of wisdom on my life, and began praying for wisdom (part of which is self-control) and reading Proverbs daily.

The second part began about 7-8 months ago. It involves what the experts always said, but since I'm still working on the wisdom thing I had to learn for myself. I have found a few small changes to make which are sustainable in the long term. I'm not on a diet, but I say no to sweets and 2nd helpings a little more often than I used to, and I walk for 20-30 minutes most days and lift light weights a few times a week. It works out to losing only a pound a month, which is hard to get excited about, except that I *think* I've finally found a long-term solution, and now I'm down by 8 pounds or so. Give me a year or so, and I'll be a happy camper!

No comments: