Monday, August 21, 2006

Roller Coasters

I went to Geauga Lake again this weekend -- this time with my family. Fortunately, I've been a fan of roller coasters for over 30 years, so I don't mind going two weekends in a row. Fortunately, my husband and kids also like them, so we had a good time. But, for the first time in my life, I've found a roller coaster I don't like.

I've been trying to understand why, and I'll TRY to explain. The ride is called the X-Flight, and its gimmick is the position riders are in. After getting in and being strapped down, the seats lay back so the riders are on their backs, going head first, kind of backwards. Then, as the cars start up the hill, they're almost sitting up again, due to the angle of the track.

It's going down the hill, and most of the rest of the ride that caused me a problem. The track flips over so that the rider is now hanging, face-down, with no support other than the restraints that have you buckled in. Now, I know in my head that those restraints must be trustworthy, but I couldn't make myself trust them and just enjoy the ride.

Every other coaster I've been on, most of your weight, for most of the ride, was supported by the steel car you were sitting in or on. If I ever try it again, I'm going to pay a LOT more attention to the restraints so I can either decide I trust them or not ride....

No comments: