Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Homeschool Objections

The most common response I get from other mothers of school aged kids is, "That's great, but I could never do it." The most frequently offered reason for not being able to do it is, "My kid(s) won't listen to me."

Homeschooling isn't just about education. It may not even be primarily about education, although a great education is usually a by-product. One of the things it IS about is teaching your children to listen and respect their parents, their family's values, and especially the Word of God more than they respect peers and unbelieving adults.

It's about Romans 12:2 - 'Do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.'

And if a child doesn't listen his parents, that's all the more reason to bring him home and train him in godliness and respect for parental authority. It's better than taking the chance that he won't listen to you during his teen years, when the stakes are so much higher!

(Another frequently mentioned reason is inadequacy on the part of mom -- as one thoroughly inadequate mom, I can say that homeschooling becomes a wonderful and terrible adventure of trusting and leaning on God's grace day by day. I've gone from struggling with consistency in daily time with God, to eagerly seeking the grace I need each day.)

I may do more blogs on this, but what I really need to do is add a homeschooling page to my website!

No comments: