Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Goals for my kids

I imagine all parents have 'goals' for their kids' lives. It's a good idea to spend some time thinking hard about what those goals are, and then check to see how well your parenting matches up to them.

For example, my absolute, #1 goal for Tim and Becky is that they grow up to love and serve God wholeheartedly. Is this more important to me than whether or not they have a good job? Yes, without a doubt. But do I communicate that to them?

For example, if time is limited and a choice has to be made between daily devotional time and finishing schoolwork, do I encourage my child to blow off the Bible and do their schoolwork instead? What message does that send to them about what's most important?

We as Americans are so focused on academic (leading to professional) success, and unfortunately, our children are going to pay the spiritual price for that if we're not careful. Let's remember what Jesus said about rich men, heaven and the eye of a needle!

I want to encourage my children to be and do their best, but I want them to know that I'd rather they be godly, faithful garbage-collectors (or insert lowly job of choice) than a president, doctor, lawyer, rich business owners, etc.

No comments: