Friday, April 28, 2006

Growing Old in America

There's gotta be a better way! Too many of our parents and grandparents are being warehoused in miserable institutions where they (and we) just wait for them to die. I see two primary differences when I look back to previous generations. First, we have a greater availability and variety of health care options to prolong life, but the downside to this is the necessity of nursing care for (in some cases) many years. Secondly, as has been spoken of far more eloquently by others, is the frantic pace and general fragmentation of our families' lives.

At the moment, my husband and I each have a grandmother in a nursing home. Although we hate this fact, it seems at the moment that there is little we can do about it. They're both in different states than we are, although one is in a neighboring state and we try to visit each month, and our current home has no downstairs bedrooms.

Right now, I'm thinking about the future, and I have two ideas: One is to buy a ranch house with a stair-less entry, and the the other is to take the same kind of courses a 'home health aide' takes. I think that doing both of those things would at least decrease the amount of time our parents would have to spend in such a place.

When I think way ahead to the future, I'd rather forgo the fancy health care and just a few years earlier and stay at home! I KNOW I'm going to a better place, so why not go sooner...

No comments: