Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Ancient History

I've been reading Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History (translator, C.F. Cruse.) It's a lot more interesting than it sounds. He wrote only about 300 years after Christ's death and resurrection. The most fascinating thing I've come across was from the official records of a small nation called Edessa, east of the Euphrates River. A letter from the King of this nation, King Agbarus to Jesus was recorded, as well as the answer received.

The letter to Jesus was a request for him to come there as the king had a serious, incurable disease, as well as an offer of protection from the Jews who "are plotting to injure thee." Assuming this is real, Jesus answer (in part) follows:

"But in regard to what thou has written, that I should come to thee, it is necessary that I should fulfill all things here, for which I have been sent. And after this fulfillment, thus to be received again by Him that sent me. And after I have been received up, I will send to thee a certain one of my disciples, that he may heal thy affliction, and give life to thee and to those who are with thee."

It is further recorded that Thomas, sent one of the Seventy, Thaddeus, who did go to Edessa, heal the king and other, and preach the gospel with much power and effect.

How cool is that!

No comments: