Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Agree or Disagree?

Is there truly only one basic storyline in the world?

I have to put some more thought into this, but I've been tossing around an idea lately, and I'd be interested in feedback.

Without actually analyzing every story I've read and enjoyed, a quick survey gave me the sense that they all have one basic plotline, as follows:

Start with a character who is in some way a sympathetic or generally positive figure (protagonist.) The protagonist has some sort of a problem, which is not (or not primarily) his own fault. Dangle a possible solution just out of reach. Throw roadblocks and obtacles in the way. Repeat the last two several times, ending with huge roadblocks that make it seem almost impossible, and then solve the problem in a better way than was originally envisioned.

I suppose that I'm referring to all stories when I say there's only one plot... just the good ones!

3 comments:

Jody said...

I'm a novelist with a slightly different take than you've expressed here. For me, I start with a protagonist who has a huge desire. That desire could be blocked by your "problem," but I find that when I start a novel with the "desire line," it always has a strong narrative drive that way. It's also a little more positive in nature.
I probably got this idea from screenwriting, which I highly recommend that any novelist study because it's helpful for learning how to plot and structure.

Jody (www.josephinecarr.com)

Victoria Ceretto-Slotto said...

I'm thinking about the antagonist...the "problems" can be a person, a situation, a disease, a threat, spiritual or psychological angst etc.
Not sure if I would call it one "plot" so much as the story arc, because one novel can have multiple sub-plots.
Good luck with your quest for an agent.
Victoria

Debbie Fuhry said...

Good points...

Jody, I like the idea of learning screenwriting to strengthen one's skill as a novelist.

Victoria, 'story arc' is a very good term.

Thanks!