Wednesday, September 03, 2008

More on marriage

As I've spent the last few days pondering what makes a good marriage, I remembered a principle I came upon many years ago...

Most people tend to come into marriage with the expectation that their spouse will meet certain needs. I think this is a big mistake. As a believer, I am confident that the Lord is able to meet all my needs. Compare two marriages: The first is composed of two people seeking to take from each other that which they think will fill their gaps; the second consists of a man and woman, each of whom are filled and overflowing from their relationship with God, and who are continually pouring love into each other from the overflow of their primary source -- their walks with God.

It is not hard to see which of the two had a stronger foundation.

No comments: